Pages

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Now For A Little Chemistry...

At school yesterday one of the researchers snapped a picture of me doing some actual chemistry!


Oversized lab coat? Check. Bright blue gloves? Check.  Real pipetting action? Check.

If you're curious about what I was doing, I was filling a pipet to inject some cell extract into a protein gel to separate out the different protein bands by size.  Are you curious how I did it?  Go here for a chemistry lesson on gel electrophoresis.

On a chemistry related note, I saw this post on J.Crew Aficionada showing J.Crew's incorrect periodic table.



Do you notice what's missing?  They eliminated groups 14 and 15 entirely.  I think it's really awesome that J.Crew incorporated some science into a store display.  It would have been cooler if they were more accurate.   Although, it's not like carbon and nitrogen are important anyways ;)

I always enjoy when science things are used in the fashion and beauty industry.  Here are some examples:

A Clinique magazine ad:
PS: Clinique Clarifying Lotion 3 is awesome.  I use it every night.
The use of beakers at MAC Cosmetics:


Aveeno's ad campaign with their own "elements":

I know for myself I stored my makeup in beakers for ages.  I haven't done so in awhile since my beaker is sitting in a box at my parents place.  I just think that chemistry is everywhere, and definitely has a place outside of the lab.

On a random note, if you're bored, go to the Black Acre Brewing Co. website and say you're under 21.  My boyfriend showed me this tonight and it made me laugh.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this lesson on cell extract. I also like the idea of using beakers to store makeup. I will have to try that. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you fashionable with lab coats? Maybe you are interested with my blog. you can check it title Uniforms 101: Custom Embroidery for Your Lab Coats posted at http://theuniformsalley.blogspot.com/2011/12/uniforms-101-custom-embroidery-for-your.html

    Hope you like it.

    ReplyDelete