Pages

Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!

Today was a special day for two reasons.  It is Easter Sunday and it is also my boyfriend's birthday.  As I mentioned in yesterday's post, I decided to make my boyfriend bread pudding for breakfast.  Here is the recipe I used:

Cinnamon Swirl Breakfast Bread Pudding (found in Cosmopolitan magazine)

4 eggs
1½ cups milk
3 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ loaf day-old bread, cut into cubes
¼ cup pecans, chopped
Nonstick cooking spray
Maple syrup

In a large bowl, whisk eggs and milk. Add the brown sugar, vanilla extract, and cinnamon, and whisk until all the ingredients are completely incorporated. Stir the bread and pecans into the egg mixture. Coat an 8-inch-by-8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray. Pour in the bread pudding, and cover with foil. Let sit in the refrigerator at least one hour and up to overnight. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake the bread pudding, covered, for 30 minutes. Remove the foil, and bake an additional 10 minutes, until the pudding is browned. Serve hot with maple syrup. 

I mixed the pudding last night, and baked it this morning.

Bread pudding before baking:


Bread pudding after baking:


The pudding turned out very well, and was great with syrup.  I would highly recommend this recipe since it is both simple and yummy.

For another Easter activity, we decided to color Easter eggs using a $2 kit we found at Safeway.  Here is the finished result:


We also decided to make Skittles Vodka.  Using this recipe, we made Strawberry and Lime vodka, as seen below:

Strawberry Skittles Vodka

Lime Skittles Vodka

The great thing about this recipe is that you can still taste the skittles, but the vodka isn't overly sweet.  We will definitely make this again.

Overall, I had a very good Easter.  I am a little bit disappointed that I was unable to find Cadbury Mini Eggs where I live (I eat way too many every Easter) but there is always next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment