Pages

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

San Diego!

I have finally found an internet connection I don't have to pay $10 a day for!  As you can tell from the title of this post, I am currently in San Diego.  My boyfriend is presenting at a chemistry conference here, and I decided to tag along because flights with Southwest are super cheap (~$150 round trip) and the hotel stay is covered by a travel grant.  $150 for a 5 day vacation is super awesome, especially because my boss is also at this conference and gave me the okay to be here.

We arrived on Saturday and spent the evening at the hotel pub watching the Vancouver vs Nashville playoff game.  It was a long game (2 overtimes!) and although Vancouver didn't win I'm sure they'll do great at game 3 tonight.  Luongo made a ridiculous amount of saves, so the loss can't be pinned on him.  Anyways, that's enough about hockey.

On Sunday we decided to check out Sea World since the conference didn't start until the late afternoon and I have wanted to go ever since I moved to California.  We arrived at 10am when the park opened, and it was so quiet!  We got to enjoy a lot of the aquariums before the crowds came, and even got to ride on the rapids ride by ourselves!  We also found a great place for lunch: Seaport Marketplace.  It offered some great reasonably priced sandwiches and salads and a large selection of beer.  If you're ever at Sea World in San Diego, I highly recommend it.  We checked out the Believe show (which I found a bit pretentious and didn't have nearly enough whale tricks) and the Sea Lions Live show, which was really cute.  We had a great time, but I ended up with a horrible sunburn on my shoulders (lesson learned: wear a cover up instead of a Lululemon Push UR Limits tank to Sea World).  

Update: I found a stable internet connection outside of the conference center.  Here are some photos from my Sea World adventures: 

Feeding the sea lions.  The birds around this area were very aggressive!
A random encounter with Bert and Ernie.
Photo from the Sea Lions Live show.  They were very talented.
Photo from the Believe show.  Never enough whale tricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment